Let’s get ready to… WAFFLE SUNDAY!!!
You thought I was going to say rumble, didn’t you? Which is exactly what my stomach is doing looking at these photos (and I bet yours, too).
For my second installment in my monthly Waffle Sunday series, I thought I’d bring to you my decadent, delicious, dessert-for-breakfast Peanut Butter & Chocolate Waffles. It’s basically the acceptable way to eat Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for breakfast. This recipe builds upon my flawless Buttermilk Waffle base recipe, so if you missed last month’s installment, give that a read. If you’re all caught up, then let’s get started…
This waffle recipe could not be made possible without two f*cking awesome products: PB2 powdered peanut butter and Enjoy Life chocolate chips.
Have you ever tried to bake a cake or make pancakes/waffles with regular peanut butter and your batter becomes really oily without really tasting remotely peanut-y? Well the geniuses at PB2 have figured out how to stop that from happening: powdered peanut butter! PB2 is made by squeezing the natural oils out of peanuts and then dehydrating them, yielding a fine powder where 90% of the original fat is removed. Simply incorporate this powdered peanut butter with your dry ingredients, and you have a peanut butter flavor explosion without any of that oily mess.
Chocolate chips are a great addition to any waffle. You know what isn’t? Chocolate chips that have milk, whey, and casein. The solution? Enjoy Life chocolate chips–dairy free (and gluten free) chocolate morsels that give you that chocolatey melty goodness without any of the indigestion.
This recipe is as simple as mixing your dry ingredients (flour, powdered peanut butter, baking powder, sugar, and salt–If you want to make this recipe gluten free, substitute your favorite cup-for-cup gluten free flour for the regular flour)…
Mixing your wet ingredients (vegan buttermilk, eggs, melted vegan butter, vanilla)…
And then pouring your wet mixture into your dry mixture and whisking so there are no lumps.
Fold in your chocolate chips so they are distributed evenly…
And then pour into a waffle maker and cook according to your maker’s instructions.
And consume! I like to sprinkle some extra chocolate chips on top because why the f*ck not…HAPPY WAFFLE SUNDAY, EVERYBODY! Look forward to the next waffle recipe in January…
- 1½ cup flour (or cup-for-cup gluten free flour)
- ½ cup PB2 powdered peanut butter
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 8 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups nondairy milk (I use almond)
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Make your dairy free buttermilk by combining nondairy milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir and let it sit while mixing dry ingredients. It will thicken and curdle.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, powdered peanut butter, baking powder, sugar, and salt, and whisk so there are no lumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract, and buttermilk mixture.
- Pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and combine, using a whisk again so there are no lumps.
- Fold in the chocolate chips so they are evenly distributed.
- Pour your batter into your waffle maker according to its instructions and cook.
- Serve with maple syrup!